Saturday, October 17, 2015

¡Vamanos!

The Floating Librarian is traveling over land for this trip, and, come to think of it, she has retired from being a librarian, so...a new blog and new name. This time I'm fulfilling a longterm wish to return to Oaxaca, Mexico, where I studied Spanish at the Instituto Cultural in December 2008. I can't wait for the rush of recognition, the sights, sounds, and smells that are imprinted on my mind from that first monthlong immersion.

And yet I know it will be a new experience, too, and want to be open to all that presents itself. This time I'm traveling with a friend, Cathy Saylor, who will have her own ideas of what to explore. And there is much more ubiquitous wifi than seven years ago : ) So I will be more in touch with my US world, and may need to impose some self-discipline in order to get the most out of the immersion experience.

Right now we are in Houston Hobby airport, waiting for our flight to Mexico City. We will fly to Oaxaca from there tomorrow. I just wanted to get something down to get this blog started, and promise there will be more exciting posts to come. Tal vez en español.


 
After a last-minute crisis involving our airport ride, things are looking up. Our flight wasn't full, so we had an empty middle seat. And when I asked for more Coke because my free drink was too strong, the attendant brought me another full mini-bottle of rum to mix my own. Yeah, we're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment